- Oversee the retail sales of personal use motor vehicles
- License motor vehicle dealerships and salespeople
- Provide certification courses and continuing education for the vehicle sales industry
- Offer consumer information and assistance
- Investigate consumer complaints and provide dispute resolution
The Motor Vehicle Sales Industry of British Columbia
Over 6,600 licensed salespeople working at approximately 1,400 licensed dealerships selling new and used:
- Automobiles and light trucks
- Motorcycles and mopeds for on-road use
- Recreational vehicles and trailers for recreational purposes
Annual licensed dealership activity: 420,000 transactions and $10 billion in sales
The VSA is an independent regulatory agency administering the provincial Motor Dealer Act and parts of the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act.
The VSA is a public body under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and is required to proactively disclose information and records of importance to the public. VSA compliance activities, Motor Dealer Customer Compensation Fund decisions and VSA policies are all available for public review.