- All new motor vehicle salespeople applying for a salesperson licence. A licence will not be issued until a completed Salesperson Application 287 kB is submitted and all licensing requirements are met.
- Returning salespeople who took the Salesperson Certification Course prior to September 2007
The introductory course provides a foundation for professional and legal selling. It explores the Motor Dealer Act, the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act, the Sale of Goods Act, contract law and related legislation. The course outlines the responsibilities of a sales professional through the entire selling process, from advertising to presenting vehicles, negotiating sales to documenting transactions.
Surrey and Victoria classroom option
The two-day classroom course includes the licensing exam.
Facilitated webinar series
The same course content in five two-hour, fully-interactive webinars and self-study homework. The five webinars and the locally supervised licensing exam are completed within a two and one-half week period.
A webinar participant needs the following to be successful:
- A computer (not a tablet or a phone)
- Adobe Flash Player installed (on 99% of computers and free)
- Computer speakers to hear videos and interviews
- A high-speed data connection (cable modem, etc.)
- Speaker phone or a hands-free headset (to call an 800 number)
- A quiet, individual place to work, such as an office with a door
- If working from home, undisturbed time at the computer
- A modest level of competence with computers and typing
- The ability to focus for up to two hours without being disturbed
Those who are unsure of their computer skills are encouraged to have a helper for the Webinar One self-study and Webinar One.
- Participants must attend and complete all course components to be eligible to write the exam
- The final mark is based on all course work, homework, class participation and the exam
- Participants must have an overall mark of 75% to pass
- Government-issued picture ID is required in order to write the exam
A refund or credit will be issued equal to 10% of the fee for every full business day prior to the start of the class – less a processing fee of $50. For example, if the VSA receives notice before the start of the fifth business day prior to the course date, a refund of 50% less the $50 processing fee will be issued. Cancellations and transfers must be received in writing. Please contact the VSA office.
A substitution may be made until noon on the business day prior to the class date for a fee of $25. Facilitators will not take registrations or make substitutions at the class. Please contact the VSA office.
- Individual marks are usually available online within 14 days
- Participants who pass and have met all other licensing requirements will receive their full licence within 30 days of completion
- Participants who fail will receive a letter within 14 days explaining the available options