Ford recalls 62,000 vehicles in Canada
Ford is recalling nearly 1.4 million mid-size cars, including 62,479 in Canada, because the steering wheel can detach from the steering column, causing drivers to lose control of the vehicle. The recall covers certain Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ cars from the 2014 through 2018 model years.
Separate recall for clutches – In a separate recall, the Dearborn, Mich.-based automaker is recalling 5,872 Focus and Fusion vehicles, including 515 in Canada, for potential clutch plate fracture, which is a fire risk.
You can find more information about this recall here:
With the recent rise in manufacturer recalls, the VSA is seeing an increase in recall-related questions. While dealers have an obligation to research and disclose the history and condition of a vehicle, consumers are encouraged to conduct their own research as well.
Consumer Best Practices
- Research the recall history of vehicle models. Resources include the Government of Canada’s general recall website for all categories of products, including vehicles. The USA Department of Transport’s National Highway and Traffic Safety Authority also launched a VIN specific limited recall look up.
- Check the recall history of a specific vehicle with the manufacturer using the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). A recall may affect only a certain number of vehicles of the same make, model and year
- Ask for proof from the dealer of the status of any recall issues from the seller
Dealership Best Practices
- Checking online and with the manufacturer using the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Knowing where a recall was made. A recall in the United States may not be a recall in Canada
- Knowing the full scope of a recall. For example, if the problem occurred in just part of the production run, the recall may apply to only certain vehicles of the same model or year
- Advising consumers of any outstanding or uncorrected recalls. However, recalls required for a vehicle to meet the minimum requirements of the Motor Vehicle Act must be completed before a vehicle is sold for use as transportation